celtic lady's rants

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

COMMON SENSE?......my daughter and I have come to the conclusion that the term "use common sense" is very close to having little meaning in today's society, close to becoming an antiquated term with little, if no, value....you know, one of those phrases that make young people give you that look and go, "Huh?". Although, it appears to us that this condition is not just afflicting the young people around us. In the past, parents, teachers, law-enforcement officers etc. have always been able to address those who have made poor choices with a suggestion to "use common sense". Here lies the problem....the sense we would be referring to...you know, good manners, safe choices, wise decisions, respect for others, self respect... seems, not only NOT at all common these days, but in fact, a completely foriegn concept to the majority of those we observe in public.
You know the ones...the teens downtown on the weekends that are throwing themselves into walls, letting their butts, not just boxers and thongs hang out the back of their pants, dodging through cars and throwing food across the mall food court (and your 12 year old asks, "Why are they doing that?" and although you pride yourself in giving intelligent, considerate anwers to your child's curiosities, all you can do is say, "Uh...because they're stupid???") Then there are the adults...probably parents of the afore mentioned teens...that leave their picnic messes all over the park, who pull into the parking space in front of the elderly lady signaling for the space and have loud, full-blown arguments on their cell phones in public places, complete with foul language, like no one can hear them and then look at you like you are listening in on their private conversation. *sigh*
What to do??? Well, we have tried, through subtle comments and disapproving looks to indicate that they are behaving in unacceptable ways. Doesn't work! They don't get it! We have even, on occasion, when we are personally affected by their lack of sense, been more bold with our comments...but then, we realize, that if these oafs lack so much sense and civility, our comments may not encourage them to conform to our definition of socially acceptable behavior but may actually elicit even more obnoxious behavior...to their utter glee.
So, since traveling the planet in search of a country, somewhere, anywhere, where the general population still values good sense and decency is probably out of our budget and since there may possibly be enough Americans left, with these desired traits...we propose doing what every other minority group does these days...get a name (Americans with Uncommon Sense?), form an official group , file for non-profit status, lobby for our rights (that should be interesting) and GET A SHIRT!!!....how about...
Americans with Uncommon Sense Unite!!!
If none of that works...we may need to start shopping for a large island? Any one want to join us?

5 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Pirate said...

I take XL. My sentiments exactly. These dolts in society are fastly becoming the majority. I blame it on fast food.

No seriously this a real probelm and it only is getting worse. Is it the same every where in America? I don't think so. But it becoming a major problem in Oregon.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger coastalcutie2000 said...

OMG,
were we siamese twins, separated at birth and given to different parents?!!! WE are so much ALIKE IT IS SCARY. You said my whole philosophy with complete eloquence! I for one am ready to print the shirts AND start looking for the island property.
Wow, another Sag. born in year of the ox, so we are either the same age or 12 years apart, but in either case, my own daughter and I loved reading your blog. Can we be friends? And don't ya just Love the Idiot?
Pacific College Mom (Ann)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Pirate, I will get those shirts made soon!!! Hey, send readers!! I promise to write more regularly!

Ann, I am so glad we found each other, have to keep it platonic though, or Pirate will get jealous ;-)! I will get back to you on e-mail but keep reading!

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger coastalcutie2000 said...

Hey Celtic lady,
Read your comment today, thanks!
I am really sooo happy to have this semester finally over!!! Are you wiccan, too? Way cool! Although I seriously doubt we will be seeing much sun until May or so...
Good luck and powerful thoughts heading your way to finish your research paper.

Gotta go get some wine and bubbles.
Is it okay to add you to my links?
Gotta advertise wherever you can, eh?

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Yep, link up!!! I am not wicca, per se, just open to all celtic history and good energy, philosophy, religions etc. I will share some great writings on my blog soon that I got from a book at a shop called Maiden, Mother, Crone! Gotta run.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home