celtic lady's rants

Friday, December 23, 2005

Yeah Solstice! What a wonderful time the little goddess girl and I had celebrating Winter Solstice on Wednesday! If you live in Western Oregon, particularly on this dark, wet, dreary week...you simply must celebrate the day that marks the lengthening of daylight! Summer is on the way!!! O.K. I know that is a stretch but the blossoms will bloom soon! In the mean time, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah and a Joyful Kwanzaa to all! Raise a cup to the New Year and be safe and happy!
Other than the usually well wishes for the holidays...I only have one other sentiment to share. I am trying desperately, to take a stand against the evil Walmart giant...out of respect for Walmart workers (who have seemed to successfully aligned their level of interest in the customers' well being to that of the company's interest in theirs) and support of local small businesses negitively effected by Walmart. I have not been completely successful, trying to make family holiday dollars stretch and providing shoes, socks, panties and presents to a little second grader from my reading class. So, as I peruse the aisles, looking for a few bargains to join the well-thought-out, long-since-purchased gifts that did not come from Walmart, I find myself drowning in rows and rows, stacks and stacks of "gift baskets".....you know the ones...the brightly-colored-spa- perfume-lotion-showerscrubber-incense-lip-gloss-more-poorly-colored-eyeshadow-squares-than-you-could-or-would-ever-use-in-a-life-time baskets?! Notice these are all made for women...or should I say, all made for male shoppers. So here is my hint for the holidays, men! DON'T DO IT!!!! There is not a gift on the planet that screams more loudly to the woman in your life, "I don't know (or don't care) anything about what you might like for a holiday gift!" Truly, if you are convinced that she loves all of those bath products more than a truly well thought out gift that is uniquely for her, than PLEASE go to Victoria's Secret (delicious lotions and powders) or Bath and Body Works and sample and pick out truly wonderful scents for both of you to enjoy. Have it packed or wrapped in lovely paper that says, I spent time and thought about you. THEN, spend this next year paying attention when she shows you a book at the book store that she has been meaning to buy, or comments on a new song or artist on the radio, or stop by a perfume counter together and sample until you find your mutual fave. Tuck that information away (good lord, write it down if you have to) and shop well next year! By the way, those generic, icky smelling basket are pretty well awful for your mother, child's teacher, the babysitter or anyone else on the planet.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

8 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Pirate said...

delicious lotions?

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Uhhhhh, did I say that?! Well, if I said it then it must be true! By the way, are you ever going to tag me, or do you know enough? *laugh*

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Martini Love said...

They are delicious! Hope your holidays were great

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger coastalcutie2000 said...

Hey lady,
I totally agree with you! Walmart is the only store here in my neck of the woods, and I hate them as much as you do...

How are you faring in this horrible weather? Did you get washed away? I have been flooded out on all sides here, and only a few miles down the road is under 5 feet of water! We are very lucky to only have a severe case of cabin fever.

Hope you are doing well and I hope to hear from you soon.

Pacific College Mom (Ann)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger coastalcutie2000 said...

Pacific College Mom said...
Hey Lady!
Thanks for the positive energy. I have had several people call to see if we were still alive and kicking... guess the papers show us as part of a disaster area. I am glad to know that we are still in folk's thoughts!~

Take care of yourselves, too and I will keep you in my positive line of thinking as well.
PCM

10:47 PM

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've enjoyed visiting yours!

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

*admits shamefully* I actually like those gift baskets. Heh. Oh well, call me cheap.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

oh m.c. *sigh* there ARE support groups! *laugh* They are...uh...o.k. especially if the special someone KNOWS you like them and is purchasing them with intent! Don't get me wrong, my favorite gifts have been made, regifts or acquired but they must have forethought and intent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home