
Remember these? COOTIE CATCHERS! My second graders have joyfully discovered them this week as rainy day recess has returned. You know the folded paper, grabby things, that you stick your thumbs and index fingers in and open, shut them a certain number of times dictated by your buddy's choice of color or number...then open the flap to reveal a hidden message that you made up. My kids' messages were things like:
You rock!
You are awesome!
You have monkey breath!
Marry me! (what????)
I like you.
You are cute!
Smelly feet.
What's up?
You are smart.
(We just won't publish the ones written before the teacher (me) caught on and discussed "compliments" and funny -vs- non funny jokes. "You are sexy" was edited quickly after a class wide *gasp* and hysterics!)
Now, some of these messages may seem a bit lame to you but they brought gales of laughter to a bunch of seven year olds! Don't you sometimes long for the days when you could amuse yourself and your friends with a 4"x4" piece of paper (bigger or smaller to your liking) and a pencil? No electricity, no batteries, no SCREEN! I think you should all take a moment this weekend and make yourself a cootie catcher with someone you love...don't have a child?...hmmmm, might be even more fun with another adult! Tell me about a fond, no tech memory of your childhood....


20 Comments:
oh, do i remember these!! they were FUN!!
other things that were fun with out 'tech' stuff...riding a bike (what's a HELMET?)....playing 'war' with my cousins at Grandma's huge farm, with sticks shaped like guns!!
Oh yes, I remember these too! I loved them. They were so fun!
Oh my goodness...you just brought back some memories...lol
what ever happened to all the kids in the neighborhood going outside to play in the yard. Nothing like a good game of "Tag" or kickball to keep kids occupied for hours. I rarely see kids playing in the neighbor's yards. Too much technology anymore.
I think sadly of how much kids are missing these days, playing outside all day, licking lollies until your tongue got numb... bikes and running through the grass that was taller than you were...
my favorite childhood memories were living on my uncle's ranch, spending a summer's night playing hide and seek behind the hay bales under a full moon. And cootie catchers. Thanks for the blast to the past!
I remember those. THere's a hysterical South Park episode about them, but I digress. Favorite no tech memories: Running around playing hide and seek or cowboy and injuns with mouth guns.
"Ack ack ack ack! Gotcha!" Also building rafts out of driftwood and trying to figure out bouyancy. How come this one floats and that one sank? (scratching heads). It would be manyyears before I discovered that secret, to wit: If the object (raft) weighs less than the water it displaces it will float. If it weighs more than ithe water it displaces...blub blub blub. Try figuring that out when you're seven. :-)
Hey Ocean,
here is a site with cootie instructions. Have fun!
http://www.joanholub.com/cootiedirections.html
Libby: A big farm...oh the possibilities!
Vee: Yes, they were/are!
BBS: Yep, and that is why kids are...er...shaped differently today!
PCM: What were ya doin' in the hat bales??? ;-)
Ocean: www.girlpower.gov under games & puzzles!
andy: never tried the raft thing...just little boats in the stream. Hey, was that your blue painting I was admiring? Want to buy it!!!
max: YEA! More men to play with! We needed much more testosterone in this blog! and my, yes, you ARE 100%...;-)
:) A favorite "notech" thing I always loved was playing in the hay mows in the barn.~~~matter of fact I still love to. ;)
I still make those 'cootie catchers' with my kids at the hospital.
Excuse me a sec Celticlady~
MAX?~I tested your monkey~~ I don't think I passed. :) *swings away from vine to vine grumbling~~ {harumph} test monkey indeed!*
ok thanks Celticlady ;)
Yep, Max is a hard man (ahem!) to get a hold of....wait, that sounded all wrong! So, Max, how does one respond to you?
man i loved those things. we girls played with them on into high school. i taught my oldest son to make them in first grade... his always said things like "you're grounded" and "nascar rules" or "who farted" (hes a boy... i know)
anyways... nice to meetcha, i am here because i miss pirate.
I totally remember those....I can't believe they are still around.
Hey that song on my blog is Alice Peacock, Into the Light...it's pretty amazing isn't it? It's her piano version which is different from the one on her cd. You can download it from my site.
dak-ind: Glad to meet you and I hope you will return! The Pirate is just crazy busy with family and work...sounds happy!
Networkchic: Thanks! I will check her out! Download?? Whats that??? Oh, yeah like the pictures I JUST learned to do....*laugh*
How about playing army with loaded bb guns? Low tech, a lot of fun, and it's always refreshing to hear your mother say to you (think A Christmas Story here), "You'll poke your eye out!"
B was sort of hard... but accomplished. also added you to the blogroll... nice to have you and i will enjoy visiting with you in the future!
thanks also for the update on pirate. i am very glad to know he is well.
the girls that did that to me had a trick for counting where they could always make it ay the neagtive thing.
hmmm, i think i just discovered my next therapy session topic.
Brico: mean girls!!! Well, you can tell Tish how mean they were to you and let her make it up to you for all woman-kind...;-)! I am sure she will not mind!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I think I shall drop in here for a few months and meet new people.
Ta.
I remember being little. But not much else.
stag and mr. oldhorse: welcome! Glad you are here!
Post a Comment
<< Home